How we afforded to go to Hawaii – so can you!
“Hey, I found cheap flights to Hawaii, should we go?” – That’s what my friend Boudi said. Friday night and a bottle of wine later the madness (PHX – HNL) is booked. And we instantly feel happier.
Cheap flights to Hawaii
How cheap are cheap flights to Hawaii?! Well, it was in November 2013, I don’t remember the exact amount but
- we had a great exchange rate (1.35 $/€)
- it was low season in November
- it must have been about 300€ because I’ve compared it with the travel costs for Abifahrt 😀
But, I made the mistake to not book it earlier. Last minute only works in very low season if they can’t sell their tickets; which is hardly ever these days. It rather gets more expensive. So I’ve hesitated to travel to the end of the world alone; especially because my parents and friends told me not to do so.
So, I booked all my flights to the US in one as a multi-stop package on kayak. Which is awesome value for money. (1159€ in total for FRA-PHX SNA-LGA RIC-MIA MIA-FRA). Adding Hawaii would have only cost 200€ more back then btw… -.-
Review Hawaiian Airlines
Hawaiian Airlines is the coolest airline I’ve come across so far. They make you sing at the gate, distribute flowers for honeymooners (yes, we thought for a moment about pretending 😀 ) And they serve fresh Hawaiian fruits. Honolulu has such a nice airport with lots of palmtrees around!
Honeymoon in Hawaii ?!
Anyway, many people believed we were just married.. 😀 Even as friends you can only have a good time in Hawaii.
Dangers in Hawaii
Despite flood warnings and stuff.. 😀
Cheap Accommodation in Hawaii
- We booked the cheapest hotel (which was not bad at all, we got an upgrade to have a balcony with sea view and a kitchen for 100$ per night for the room): http://www.cheapoair.com/FPNextHotel/Hotels/HotelDetail/s/1?FPWEBCA205&EID=40&FPID=240605&HID=202986&T=Hotel%20Name&t=h
- Had dinner once at a fancy beach-front restaurant (25$)
- and cheap eats the other times
- went on a snorkeling / sailing trip with turtles (around 50$)
- booked a Mustang convertible for a day to explore the more hidden spots of Oahu (maybe 100$ divided by 2 people)
- went to the Chiquita farm (10$)
- sneaked into a fancy resort to see a stunning sunset and Hawaiian show by accident
- some shopping at night (50$)
…and my mom paid more for her trip to Mallorca at the same time
Cheap Flights from Europe to Hawaii
From Europe, regularly check booking sites or:
Check out our FMA: